Monday, May 26, 2014

The Internet of Bikes: Downeast Racing Killington Stage Race Day 3 Individual Time Trial



The time trial is an 11 mile run and it is the last event of the race. The course is mildly up hill for six miles and then flat with a short climb. Conditions were cool and damp. I had my newly arrived Austro-Daimler Verge time trial outfit. My start time was mid day. My legs felt fine, but the effort of the previous two days could be felt. I set off on time and soon noticed a cross wind that would occasionally turn into a tail wind. I was able to push a big gear and keep up good speed. I caught my one minute man. He caught me on a climb, but then faded quickly. I reached the flat section and could see three riders in front of me. I managed to catch perhaps two of them but it was hard work. The flat section seemed to go on forever and I really had to work hard to close gaps. I was out of the saddle on the short climb and got by a rider there. I recovered a bit on the following downhill, and then started in for the last push. I had great speed and was on top of my 55 x 11, but I lost momentum on the bump that precedes the finish; I should have been out of the saddle sprinting over it. I completed the course with a time of 23:46 which was fast enough for tenth place. I was very pleased with the result; it was the fastest time I have had on this course. I moved up to 21st place in the general classification some four minutes off the winning pace. It was the end of three days of great racing and fine times with Downeast Racing team mates. 

At the start

Outbound on Route 4
Still smiling
Heading home

Loyal fan!
Loyal fan!



No comments:

Post a Comment