Saturday, May 24, 2014

The Internet of Bikes: Downeast Racing Killington Stage Race Day 1 Circuit Race


The Killington Stage Race is a three day stage race held around Killington Vermont on Memorial Day Weekend. The race features Vermont hills, beautiful green scenery and great bike racing. I joined Downeast Racing team mates Matt Moon and Dan Vallaincourt in the Pro 1 2 race. The first day was a 77 mile circuit race. There were 120 riders at the start and many teams from New England and Canada. Conditions were variable. I was running FOS 38T tubulars with Vittoria EVO CX tires on my Austro-Daimler Superleicht Carbon Di2. The bike ran very well all weekend. 
The first few miles saw a flurry of attacks and two crashes. A two man break formed soon after and things settled down. The pace was brisk on the gradual climb through the back of the course but cool heads prevailed on the fast descent to Route 100. I tried hard to ride at the front with Dan Vallaincourt and Matt Moon, but it was just too busy for me and I was just getting in the way. I settled in and concentrated on conserving energy and staying out of trouble (there were many of flat tires due to lateral cracks in the road). As expected, the break was caught at the last lap and the field charged down the last few miles in the pouring rain to contest the famous sprint. This was not for me and I finished with a group time (2:42), soaking wet but not too tired. 

Off to the Circuit Race

The skye open on the last lap



No comments:

Post a Comment