Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Internet of Bikes: Portland Velo Club Cyclemania Time Trial (Maine Time Trial Series Race #3)


The Portland Velo Club Cyclemania Cape Elizabeth Time Trial is a 13.5 mile double loop in Cape Elizabeth, Maine. It is the third race in the Maine Time Trial Series. The course features long gradual hills, open roads and some short climbs. I joined Downeast Racing team mate Hank Pfeifle and about 50 other riders to race. Conditions were cool and dry. This was my second time trial on the Austro-Daimler tt Carbon in 2014. The bike was running very well. I concentrated on pushing as hard as possible on the flat section near the Inn By the Sea and choosing a smooth section of road on the back part of the course. There is time to be gained in these sections. The primary challenge of this race for me was the long gradual hill on Route 77 before Fowler Road (completed two times) and the long and a bit steeper climb leading into the center of town. I tried hard to maintain speed in both places; it was tough. The funny thing about this race is that I know these roads very well; they are all in my back yard and I spend many hours riding on them. They have become associated with heading out on a ride or coming back from a ride. Thus when I make a maximum effort on the time trial bike, the experience feels completely different and very foreign. I suppose this means that a time trial is a time trial no matter where you are. I completed the course this year with a time of 29:07 (2013: 28:50) which was fast enough to win the day. Congratulations to all the racers who competed and thank you to Ted Darling and David Brink and all the volunteers for putting on a very well organized and pleasant event!

Entering the gate

One minute to go



No comments:

Post a Comment