Wednesday, February 5, 2014

On trainers

A quick post on the topic of trainers. Variation helps a lot. Two days out of the week, I will do interval work outs. Favorites include Bill Black's Hour of Power, Power Intervals, low cadence efforts and drills I make up myself. I write these drills out in a planner note book so I know what I  have to do and because I cannot remember them. Having them scheduled helps a lot because you enter the work out knowing what has to be done, how long it will take and how tough it will be. Before you know it, the drills are half way done and you have had a productive session. The other days of the week and weekends will be easier sessions; I will watch a video, read the paper, read some blogs; the effort will be not too rigorous and not too long (two hours is maximum for me). These sessions can be enjoyable and I find they are best when done early in the morning so that they can be done with. Elsewhere, I use Power Cranks on the trainer. This is hard work and I do it when I am pressed for time or as an addition on the interval days. I use some risers to replicate the feeling of climbing in the saddle. The best thing I find is to try and be consistent. Thirty minutes on the trainer is better than nothing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment